Gifts of shares, securities or other property benefit particularly well from Trinity’s charitable status, via the John Whitgift Foundation. Donating your shares is a simple way to support the school. It's also one of the most tax-effective ways to give money.
- You won't have to pay any capital gains tax on the shares you donate and you can claim income tax relief too.
- If you are a higher rate (40%) taxpayer, you will be able to claim income tax relief equal to 40% of the value of the gift.
- If you are a highest rate (45%) taxpayer, you will be able to claim income tax relief equal to 45% of the value of the gift.
In order to qualify for the tax relief, the shares or securities must be:
- listed or dealt on a recognised UK or foreign stock exchange
- units in authorised unit trusts
- shares in a UK open-ended investment company
- holdings in certain foreign collective investment schemes.
Please contact the Development Office if you’d like to find out more.